The first number (180) is the width of the tire in millimeters. The second number (70) is the aspect ratio, which is the height of the sidewall. The height is 70% of the width or 126mm high. The third number (16) is the rim size. In this case, the rim size is 16 Inches in diameter.
How do you read motorcycle TYRE size?
Complete motorbike tyre size list by rim size
- 120 indicates the width of the tyre (in millimeters)
- 70 indicates the aspect ratio (between height and width.
- 12 is the rim size (in inches.
- 51 refers to the speed rating.
- S refers to the type of construction.
What do TYRE size numbers mean?
The two-digit number after the slash mark in a tire size is the aspect ratio. For example, in a size P215/65 R15 tire, the 65 means that the height is equal to 65% of the tire’s width. The bigger the aspect ratio, the bigger the tire’s sidewall will be.
What does 71 h mean on motorcycle tire?
M T 90 B 16 71 H. It seems to fit with a standard alpha system, except for the last two figures: 71 H . Here, 71 indicates the load index (see Load Index Chart ). The “H” is a speed rating.
How do I know my motorcycle wheel size?
How to Measure a Motorcycle Rim
- Remove the tire from the rim.
- Lay the rim on a flat surface.
- Measure the diameter of the rim. Do this by measuring the distance between the widest point of the rim. Measure from the bed where the tire will sit. …
- Measure the width of the rim. Do this by measuring the distance from one side of the tire bed to the other.
How does tire size affect motorcycle handling?
It’s always a balance of grip, handling, and wear. So, smaller, less powerful bikes can get away with smaller, narrower tires, while bigger, more powerful bikes require larger, wider tires so that they offer adequate traction and wear, but not so wide that it ruins the handling.
Can I use 235 tires instead of 225?
Obviously, you will need a certain kind of tire depending on how you use your vehicle. Due to this, a 235 tire might not be better than a 225 tire, or vice versa, but depending on your situation, one tire might serve you better than the other.
What are the most common TYRE sizes?
Popular tyre sizes
- 205/55 R16 – as in our example.
- 225/45 R17.
- 195/65 R15.
- 215/55 R16.
- 175/65 R15.
- 185/65 R15.
- 195/60 R15.
- 275/40 R20.
How do I choose tire size?
Reading tire size documentation
- 1) The width of the tires in millimeters.
- 2) Percentage height of the sidewall in relation to the width.
- 3) Radial construction.
- 4) Rim diameter in inches.
- 5) Load index (the maximum load capacity of the tire)
- 6) Speed index (the maximum speed of the tire)
- 7) Self-Supporting Run-flat tire.
What does the H stand for on a motorcycle tire?
MC means it’s a motorcycle tire, while 62 is the load rating index, or the maximum amount of weight the tire can carry at maximum inflation. … H is the tire’s speed rating, an H-rated tire being safe at a sustained 130 mph.
Can I put bigger tires on my motorcycle?
When considering wider tires, you must factor in clearance for width and diameter, the effect on stability and handling, along with whether your rim is wide enough. If wider tires are approved for a motorcycle, it is usually permissible to increase by only one size designation.
Are wider motorcycle tires better?
Having a wide rear tire helps to prevent slippage in wet, rainy conditions. Wide tires provide a smoother ride. They are more capable of absorbing the bumps on the road. Wider tires are great because they provide help with power transfer and help handle stronger motorcycle engines.
How wide is a 200 motorcycle tire?
For example a 200/55R18 would be around 26.7 inches tall and 7.9 (200mm/25.4) inches wide.
Can I put wider tires on my stock rims?
To keep the suspension and speedometer functioning correctly, both the stock diameter and width of the wheels and tires needs to be maintained. As a general rule of thumb, it’s safe to fit a tire up to 20 millimeters wider than stock on the original rim.
Can you put tubeless tires on a tubed motorcycle?
It’s ok to run an inner tube in a tubeless tire. If you have wheels with spokes then an inner tube is the only way to keep the air from leaking out through the spokes.